Sunday, February 28, 2010

Episode 5: “Lighthouse”

Introduction

OK peoples, I’m finally getting around to blogging about the last episode. Although I had days off from school, I’ve been crazy-busy with our new pad. (In related news, we have curtains!)

I thought the episode was relatively good and engaging. It wasn’t as good as the previous week, but not as slow as “What Kate Does.” All in all, I find this season to be moving pretty slowly. I can’t say I hate this about it; for one, it means they aren’t introducing additional plot points and twists. As a fan of the show, I’m fine with taking it slow and letting it roll around like the first sip of a vintage Cabernet. However, I could use a few concrete answers soon. I’m thinking that one of the next two episodes should answer one of the “medium” questions (“What is Dharma?” or “Who are the Others?” or “How does the Nemesis take over other bodies?” or “What is it that the Nemesis wants?”) Practically speaking, I don’t think we’ll get anything concrete, though, until the last four or so episodes.

2004: The Flashsideways

This storyline has remained simple and straightforward. Jack has a son in this alternate world. He is distant from him in the beginning, but finds a way to connect by the end. Christian’s body is still lost; and I’m sure that’s going to play into it at some point. Although I dislike Jack’s emotional moments – and there are MANY – I like his desire to be a good father.

The Quest

The major storyline in this world is the quest Jacob gives Hurley, which also involves Jack. In some ways, by the end of the episode, you get the feeling that the whole purpose of the mission was to get Jack into the state of mind he was in the end, staring out into the open sea. Jacob did not seem concerned that his mirrors were broken. Actually, I really like that about Jacob: nothing at all seems to faze him, not even his own death did. In this way, he is more of the “God” figure here, working in the lives of people, but always assured of “who is going to win.” People have choices, but the victory is certain. In this vein, the Nemesis/Un-Locke is like Satan. Although cunning and confident, he appears driven mainly by anger and a desire to control. He may seem unafraid, but he does not have the same confidence Jacob has. This also has to do with how the actor plays Jacob, who I really like; I also dig his costume: the Greek demigod look does him well.

Claire

Well, I guess I was wrong about Claire’s “savage goodness;” it seems pretty obvious that she is bad – or at least her mind is so confused that she is participating in evilness. By the way, I’m not sure Claire pulls off the “I’ve been living in the woods for years” like Danielle did. I didn’t find it completely believable. However, I was completely shocked when she killed Justin with the ax. Unexpected. So what do we learn from these scenes? Well, Claire wants Aaron back; she thinks the Temple-people took him; she is friends with Un-Locke; she seems to have gone mad. Side note: I guess it doesn’t look good for Sayid…? (See poll.)

The Lighthouse / Are We Getting Closer to the Answering Anything?

Has this episode helped get us closer to answering anything? I’m not sure. I guess the only thing (and, as usual, it was ambiguous) is the numbers in the Lighthouse, which leads us to recognize that Jacob has in fact been watching the crew throughout, perhaps, their entire lives. So was the “cave” Un-Locke was in last week with Sawyer Jacob’s place too, or is it, as I suspect, The Nemesis’ lair? I guess it doesn’t matter all that much. What I really want to know now is this: Who “summoned” the crew to the island? Was it the Nemesis in an attempt to free himself, kill Jacob, control the island, and/or find a “loophole?” Or was it Jacob in an attempt to find himself a replacement? I think this question really gets at the heart of the entire show. (See poll #2.) If I have time another week, I’ll expand on my theory from the end of Season 5, which still works, for the most part.

Misc.

I think Sawyer needs to punch Jack in the face – hard. I cannot stand his “hissy fits.” How many moments throughout the show has Jack pulled this: a) I want to do the noble thing, b) I want your self-pity, c) I’m going to let my emotions get the better of me, and d) I’m almost going to cry about it, but I won’t, so hopefully my restraint reinforces both A and B. (See the top image on the blog.) Come one, why did he break the mirror? He pretends to be so strong and noble, and yet he stamps around like a 3 year-old whose jack-in-the-box has been taken away.

Does the Biblical Jacob tell us anything about Jacob? Hmm. And the Nemesis is our Esau character?

Last week's poll was unanimously won. I guess we all think Jacob is good and the Nemesis/Un-Locke bad. At least, we hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment