Thursday, March 11, 2010

Episode 7: "Dr. Linus"

Introduction

I really, really liked this episode. I was expecting a rather weak episode, considering the pattern so far has been a fast, good episode followed by slower, weaker one; but this broke the cycle. It didn’t have the quick action of last week’s, but it was exciting nonetheless. I think it may have been the best so far. It reinforces my rather strong belief that Ben is the best actor of the show.

The episode, like last week’s, also reinforces some of the potential answers the show has been presenting so far this season. In fact, it said concretely what had been only implied up to this point. I like concreteness. With these last two episodes, I’m happy about where the season is going.

Ben’s Redemption

The show has decided to completely redeem the character of Ben Linus. He is initially presented as a conniving, treacherous character, cold-blooded and willing to do anything to get his way. There was no way anyone could trust him. However, if there was any doubt concerning Ben’s seeming goodness in the 2007 reality, the flashsideways put it to rest. His empathetic, selfless decision to give up his potential principal position (not to mention his blackmailing) for the sake of Alex’s shot at Yale University was tremendous – I think the tight narrative and Ben’s acting made it superb.

I wonder why they decided to redeem Ben. Was it because he had fan appeal, and redeeming him was the best way to keep him involved? Or are the writers planning something bigger? Is Ben’s goodness somehow integral to the entire show’s conclusion? Either works for me.

Flashsideways: 2004

As mentioned, I thought this was the strongest flashsideways. It was by far the finest character study so far. (Sayid’s was probably second best.) I liked the inclusion of Alex as Ben’s student. One quick question: When the bomb blew up and reality was split, was that after Sayid shot Ben? I’m not sure this is important; I’m just interested.

Richard Alpert

We finally learn some tangible specifics about Richard. Some of it had been implied - some not. It seems that he came to the island in the Black Rock – more specifically, as a slave. (So he came in the 1500’s, I guess. Or am I getting the date wrong?) We also learn he was “touched” by Jacob: that is the reason he never ages; it is also why he can’t kill himself. With Jacob’s death, Richard thinks his whole life and Jacob’s plan was meaningless. I really like how Jack stood by his belief that there is meaning to Jacob’s plan and all of the actions so far concerning the Island. Perhaps the entire purpose of having Jack go to the lighthouse was to have him discover the meaning in his life and Jacob’s plan. Although he doesn’t like that Jacob “meddled” with his life, he does recognize meaning in it now.

Ben and Ilana

I found it interesting that Ilana decides to let Ben rejoin them. At first, I thought she was able to sympathize or empathize with him; and this still may be the case. But perhaps she just doesn’t want him to go to Un-Locke…

Jacob as a Christ/God Figure

It was interesting to note that, as Miles tells us, Jacob was hoping Ben did not kill him. That could lead one to think that Jacob’s death wasn’t part of his plan – but I disagree. I keep drawing parallels to God. I’m sure Jesus didn’t want Judas to betray him. On the one hand, he knew he would; but on the other hand, there was still the free choice of Judas. Therefore, although Judas sinned, and God never desires anyone to sin, it was still part of the plan of salvation. I think the parallel to Jacob is eerily clear. Perhaps the only difference is our idea of God being outside of time. Therefore, he knew what was going to happen – and not because it was fated, but simply because all is present to him. Jacob, on the other hand, doesn’t seem outside of time. But he does seem God-like in the sense that he uses people’s free choices, for it’s important they’re free, to further his plan. Remember, Miles only said that he didn’t want to die. Well, Jesus didn't want to die either (see the Garden of Gethsemane). He did want to gain out salvation, and was willing to do whatever it took.

The Solidification of the Dichotomy

With Jack, Hurley, and Richard’s return to the beach, the opposing teams are pretty solidified. Almost everyone is either at the beach or with Un-Locke. Jin is still off in the woods, nursing a hurt leg. Also, although Kate is with Un-Locke, I’m not sure she intends to stay. Something interesting to note: The characters with Locke are the ones who did “bad” things in their past: Kate’s murder and con jobs, Sawyer’s murder and con jobs, and Sayid’s torturing. Jack, Hurley, and Sun don’t have these pasts – but they’re at the beach. And Jin, who could be arguably in either category, is in the woods, between them both. Coincidence?

Misc.

We hear from one of Jacob’s group, Ilana, that the most of the main characters are “candidates” to take over his job. Although we heard this before, it had only been from the lying mouth of Un-Locke. I like this confirmation – a lot.

If you haven’t noticed the parallels between the two alternate worlds in the other episodes, you may have here; it was strong and engaging. In both worlds, Ben is faced with a decision, and in both he makes the right one: to stay with Ilana at the beach (we assume this is the right choice) and to give up being principal for the sake of Alex. They did a similar decision-parallel with Sayid; but Sayid didn’t do as well as Ben…

Conclusion

How about Widmore at the end? Is he on Jacob’s side, Un-Locke’s, or neither? I’m assuming Jacob’s, since I’m assuming he was the person Jacob wanted to make sure got to the island, from “The Lighthouse" episode.

With two strong, consistent episodes, I’m digging the season and the way they’re closing the show. Come on next Tuesday!

Polls

Well, 50% of us thought Sayid would remain evil, and 50% thought he would be redeemed. Vote on this week’s poll!

2 comments:

  1. Well, Jonas, I agree with you on most ideas that you posted. Let me say that I am in unison with you whole heartedly concerning Ben. That is, that he receives my vote for Best Actor of the series. (Btw: I love the pictures you chose to display of your blog this past week! Great choices)!

    Your postings about Ben have me recalling his adventures when he first was introduced into the series. Was that Season 2? Remember when he was held captive in the hatch? Right from the start, my emotions were pulled back and forth concerning Ben. "He's so evil, and then, no, there seems to be goodness in him." I wanted to believe him, even when he was proven a liar, because I always thought that deep down inside he was good. Or perhaps, I just wanted to believe he wasn't capable of evil because his acting provoked those emotions in me. Again, because of this, he gets my Academy Award Winning vote for best actor.

    I was happy to see his very admirable and morally sound decisions concerning Alex. Her life and future were more important than his getting the pricipal's job (not to mention the satisfaction it would have given him to benefit from his blackmail/email investigation of the former pricipal!) Linus' goodness was even accentuated when he promised his science teacher friend the use of his reserved parking space because, due to the failure of the blackmail scheme, he was not to receive the coveted parking spot he requested.
    ...to be continued

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jonas,

    Here are a few, non-related, comments.

    I don't think that Clare portrays, in a convinceble manner, that she is evil. Her face still seems sweet, although her words--and actions,(ouch, with that axe!) are anything but sweet. The messed up hair just doesn't do the trick! Personally, all I wanted was for her and Charlie to get married and raise Aaron. Well, enough of my Disney mentality. Everything is SO dramatically changed in Lost, compared to the beginning of the series 5+ years ago, that even Walt D. himself couldn't make this a "happily ever after" story.

    I still cannot figure why, at times, Jacob is presented with such a "sinister" aura about himself. If the writers are trying to confuse us concerning where Jacob's loyalty lies, they are doing a good job. I am fooled. I am STILL not convinced that Jacob is all good. It seems as if the "touching of his victims", in and of itself, is a self-centered, selfishly motivated process. If Jacob is compared to a "god" character, I do not see the self-sacrificing methods that Jesus used to show love, in any of Jacob's manners or plans. Of course, this 6th season will hopefully clarify Jacob's mission. So, I guess I'll wait on that one!!!!!

    My observation is that, while many of the characters have changed over the years, sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the bad, I see Jack's character as one that has been pretty consistant. True, the writers are developing his character and he is becoming more convicted in his thoughts and actions, but Jack is still Jack. Is that good? Sometimes an anchor is good, and I like Jack. However, the changes in many of the other charcters, ie. Sawyer, Jin, Ben, Locke, -make for a varied and interesting story.

    So let's see what tomorrow night's episode brings to appease our anticipation and curiosity.

    ReplyDelete